Wednesday, June 9, 2010

It's effin' PR



I have a secret.

I love former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich.

No, not for what he's accused of doing. I love him for his media circus. It provides plenty of entertainment.

When police arrested Blagojevich in December 2008, I was finishing up final exams as a junior at Loyola University Chicago. Blagojevich was on his morning jog, which is where the above mugshot comes from. Prosecutors soon released secret audio recordings, much to the joy, and chagrin, of the Illinois public.

We heard great hits such as, "it's bleepin' golden." We enjoyed plays like "Rod Blagojevich Superstar."

But most importantly, we got to see the Blagojevich media circus first hand.

His whirlwind tour across America touting his innocence. His wife competing on "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me out of Here." Who could forget the former governor's innocence speech while talking with random strangers on "Celebrity Apprentice." What about his talk show stint at WLS-AM? Oh Rod.

But now, it's go time. Today, the court swore in the jury. This epic is just getting started.

I'm innocent, I swear!

Why would Blagojevich run around proclaiming his innocence? I mean, doesn't that make him seem more guilty?

Well, it might. Many people think he's guilty. I mean, he's accused of holding funds hostage for a children's hospital. He's accused of selling a U.S. Senate seat. You can't make this stuff up, folks.

But despite all this, he seems like such a nice guy. How could such a good-looking and charming person do these heinous acts? Why would someone who put children and senior citizens first do this?

It can't possibly be true!

That's exactly what Blagojevich wants you to think. This entire time he's been playing the jury pool. I mean, look at his wife when she was on the reality show. She seemed so compassionate and likable. Why would such a good person be associated with a corrupt governor? The Blagojevich's seem to care a lot for their children. Why would they jeopardize their future?

These public appearances are pretty convincing. If I was on the jury and wasn't so self-aware of the news or my civic duty to be impartial, I would have a hard time finding this guy guilty.

I give Rod a lot of credit. He knows how to play to the public. Whether he's telling the truth or not remains to be seen. A corner stone of public relations is two-way, truthful communication.

Regardless, we'll see what happens at trial. It's a shame I'm not still living in Illinois.

Do you think Blagojevich's PR campaign will work?

No comments:

Post a Comment