Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Even journalists should be media trained

(For my own personal opinion, scroll down to the next bold part.)

Ever since NBC hired Luke Russert as a correspondent in 2008 as a youth vote correspondent, he rarely, if ever, responded to the criticism about getting his position because of the family name. Until now.

Howard Kurtz of The Daily Beast recently interviewed Russert about his life and experience on television. According to Kurtz, NBC is extremely protective of Russert and his ascent into a position at the network. In my opinion, Russert needs to media train himself much better and consent to more interviews if he wants to get rid of the nepotism stigma.

In the article, Russert addressed his critics with:

"The news media is a results-oriented business. I don't think a company like NBC would pay me if I wasn't qualified and wasn't able to produce on this level…

There will always be people who will say, 'Oh, he's only gotten where he is because of his father,' and that certainly helped. But I've been able to stay here because of me."

His answer brushes off criticism and makes him look like a snob: "Yeah, I got this position because of my name. So?"

He can't ignore criticism if it clouds his credentials.

Sarah Palin had questionable foreign policy experience and glossed over it with very media-unfriendly answers ("I can see Russia from my backyard"). Had she addressed the issue more tactfully, the firestorm against her wouldn't have burned so brightly. Russert is just fanning the flames glossing over his credentials.

There are amazing journalists in places like Iowa City, Iowa, Alexandria, La. and Pocatello, Idaho dying for a chance to work for a network. A lot of young reporters barely make enough money to make ends meet. There are journalism grads who held multiple internships and are unemployed. For Russert to not acknowledge the opportunity he has comes across as arrogant; like it's not a big deal.

It's not as if Russert has no prior media experience. He interned at ESPN and hosted a sports show on XM with James Carville, a family friend. Whether these are sufficient credentials to skyrocket straight to a national network is up for debate.

What Russert should have said:

"People who say that have a point, but I'm incredibly grateful for getting this position. I know there are many great journalists who would do anything to be where I'm at. I'm going to make the most of this opportunity."

An answer like this makes him seem humble and gracious. This is how he needs to come across for the albatross of nepotism to go away. He must address criticism head on and discuss the issue. Hiding from it, or only doing softball interviews, just adds fuel to the fire.

Russert, be hardworking, open, honest and gracious and people will stop criticizing you. Humility and a proven track record will turn you into the next Chris Wallace (son of Mike Wallace).

(The rest is my personal opinion. I might get burned for writing this, but I feel like I owe it to the people I know who aren't getting the chances in journalism they deserve.)

When I read The Daily Beast article, I got upset. Very upset.

Journalists are supposed to cut their teeth in smaller markets before they start to move up the chain. Very few ever get the chance to work for a national network. Some never even make it to New York, Los Angeles or Chicago. Luke Russert's position as a NBC correspondent is an insult to those journalists working their butts off, making next to nothing in a small market.

Sure, Russert interned and had a position on an XM radio show about sports. But how this automatically makes him qualified to be a correspondent for a national network makes absolutely no sense. He does not have the experience to be at the national level.

"It's a growth process," he says.

No, the growth process is working in a small town and making sure your writing, reporting and editing skills are excellent. You cover the fires, police beats and fluff stories about adopting puppies. You don't go from no real reporting experience to being a national correspondent. It's unfair and insulting to those who aspire to work on the national level.

In all honesty he's very average. His packages aren't amazing and he told college students in Virginia if they didn't go to UVA, they weren't the smartest. The network is for those who are great, not those who are average.

In my opinion, if Russert covered sports, the backlash against him would be subdued. All of his professional experience is in sports. Just because his dad was a great political reporter and commentator doesn't mean he's qualified as a Washington correspondent.

I mean, just because my dad sells machine parts and my mom is a former teacher doesn't mean I'm qualified to suddenly jump high-up in machine part sales and teaching.

I'm not actively pursuing journalism, so this isn't a selfish rant of why I'm not a national correspondent (actually, I always wanted to be a producer). This is a lament for all my friends who will never get an opportunity like this because their last name isn't famous.

And it's a damn shame.

(A lot of my opinion could be directed at AG Sulzberger, son of New York Times owner Arthur Sulzberger, as well)

No comments:

Post a Comment